| Print |
3116 Charlotte Street
The exterior features of this 1901 Kansas City shirtwaist include a
full-width front porch, varied wall surfaces, bell-cast eaves and bay
windows. Before restoration started there were holes in the floors, the
woodwork was piled on the living room floor and the house was partially
gutted. The first floor features gorgeous oak woodwork, 10-foot
ceilings, a reception room, and a new kitchen. At the back of the house,
a second floor study overlooks a two-story sun porch.
This two and half-story Kansas City shirtwaist was subdivided into three
apartments when it was purchased in the spring of 1991 by the Hyde Park
Neighborhood Association and the Blue Hills Homes Corporation as a joint
rehabilitation project. The work on the house was completed in about
five months. The siding was removed on the front of the house to expose
the original wood shingles.
Cowherd Brothers built in this Kansas City Shirtwaist circa 1903 for
The transformation of this shabby multi-unit apartment into a sleek,
single-family home required totally gutting the interior as well as
rebuilding all walls. The 1903 Kansas City shirtwaist features two front
façade second floor bay windows.
Elihu W. Hayes, an active turn-of-the-century Kansas City building
contractor, constructed four brick veneer and frame homes for
speculation on the east side of the 3400 block of Charlotte n 1903. The
home at 3409 Charlotte was ready for occupancy in October of that year.
An early owner of the house was Frank Hegendeffer who resided here from
about 1910 until the start of the First World War. The Hegendeffer
family operated a grocery store at the corner of 41st and Oak, where the
original store building still stands today (1998). By the mid
1980s the home was in severe disrepair. A garage was built where a brick
carriage house once stood. In addition to major repairs, the pine
staircase has been refinished.
Elihu W. Hayes, an active turn-of-the-century Kansas City building
contractor, announced the construction of four brick veneer and frame
homes on the east side of the 3400 block of Charlotte in the July 8,
1903 issue of Western Contractor. Margaretha Koch purchased this home
for $4,250 from Mr. Hayes on December 15, 1903. Mrs. Koch, a widow,
moved in with her three children (Oscar, Alma, and William) and also
rented out a room to a boarder. In 1910, she remarried and moved to
Nebraska selling the house to Thomas and Gertrude McBride. |
McBrides resided here with various family members for about 15 years
before moving to another Hyde Park address. However, while at this
address, Thomas and Gertrude rented a room during the latter part of
1922 to Walt Disney. At this time, Disney was affiliated with his
company Laugh-O-Gram Films, Inc. with offices located at 31st and
Forest. It is said that Disney was “kicked out” by the McBrides in the
spring of 1923 because of his inability to pay his $3 rent. Disney
remained in Kansas City for only a few more months before heading to
California in July 1923.
Intact original features include the
oak front door with beveled glass, a leaded glass window in the entry
hall, and a beautiful oak mantel with an oval, beveled mirror in the
living room. The French doors leading from the living room to the dining
room were found in the basement and reinstalled.
This Vernacular style with Roman Classical details house was completed in 1905. Although the house has had seeral owners, one of
the most prominent was The Reverend Burris Jenkins, innovative pastor of hte Plaza's Community Christian Church.
The house was in shambles when it was purchased in 1978. Original features include the leaded glass cupboards and
chippendale windows in the dining room, light fixtures and open stairwell off the living room. The new owners designed
a mantel for fireplace and reworked it.
Howard Haynes had grown up in Westport, and was the great, great grandson
of John Haynes, who came to Westport in 1843 as a government scout and
wagon master. So, when Howard returned to Kansas City, he began his
search for a house in Valentine and Hyde Park. Leaving his Armour
Boulevard apartment for a stroll one night in 1970, he spotted a for
sale sign at an old house on Charlotte and later badgered his real
estate agent into showing him through. What he found was five cloistered
apartments, a sealed living room, heavy blankets covering the dining
room windows, and every wall painted pink. Without question, it was the
worst of the 36 houses he had seen, yet by the time he reached the
second floor, he had decided to buy it. Despite its neglected condition,
hints of the original quality were apparent. In two bathrooms on the
second floor, decorative tiles matched their respective stained glass
windows, one blue and one pink. Connections for a central vacuum system
were provided in every room and hall, and fire tile lined the floors, to
the chagrin of telephone company installers. Every hinge, doorplate, and
wall mounting was solid brass, and even the third floor servant’s
quarters were finished with oak and brass. |
Built n 1912 this
stately neo-Georgian Colonial Revival brick house is a gem in Hyde Park.
The architectural firm of
Shepard, Farrar and Wiser designed the house
and it displays a flowing floor plan with comfortably proportioned
rooms. The first owners, the Seligsohns, lived here until 1943.
In the following years, it was converted to seven apartments.
Fortunately, all the original hardware, fixtures, glass and woodwork
were left intact and so with care and guidance from one of the Seligsohn
daughters, the home was put back to its original architectural glory.
Exotic woods are used throughout, Rookwood tiles adorn the fireplaces,
and splendid leaded glass (designed by a protégé of L.C. Tiffany)
embellishes the windows. Original combination wall scones in the dining
room light with gas on one side and electricity on the other and a
magnificent alabaster and silver chandelier hangs from a cross-beamed
This 15-room classic Georgian Colonial Revival house was built n 1909
for the Louis L. Long family by Carl H. Wilson. The house was built from
plans of the architectural firm, Shepard & Farrar. The Long family lived
in the house until 1972, when it was bought for use as an institutional
home. The beautiful Corinthian columns surrounding the front and side
porches were so badly damaged that only four of the 16 could be salvaged.
When restoration bean in 1978, there was no kitchen as the house had
been used exclusively for dormitory space. The badly damaged stairway
had to be disassembled and completely rebuilt. The 20’ x 22’ dining room
is magnificently proportioned and has intricate mahogany ceiling beams
and paneling. Two leaded and stained glass doors separate the living
room from the dining room. Throughout the house are beautiful walnut,
mahogany and oak woodwork, cove ceilings, ornamental plasterwork
and brass and white porcelain doorknobs. The brick wall at the front of
the house was torn down, each brick cleaned and the wall rebuilt.
Reworking the interior of the house to make it both comfortable and
livable has resulted in sacrificing a bit of the original design, but
many of the features of the old house fit nicely into today’s lifestyle.
The interior of this 2 1/2-story brick house, by architects
Shepard, Farrow & Wiser, leaves no doubt as to the
occupation of the man who built it. Benjamin Berkshire was
Secretary-Treasurer of the Berkshire Lumber Co., and his 1911 house
contains a dazzling array of woodwork. The entry hall running the width
of the house is paneled with floor-to-ceiling oak. In the living room,
the 9’ long fireplace mantel and all the door and ceiling moldings are
mahogany. An oak arch frames the solid oak stairway to the second floor.
The home remains as grand today as it was in the early 1900s, with
original woodwork, room configurations, and fixtures. Berkshire built
the house and a rose garden across four city lots. (A modern day duplex has been built were part of the garden was.)The main entrance and
colonnaded front porch face south, away from the two streets that bound
the property. The house contains seventeen types of woodwork. The house
was sold to Lois Brent and her mother in 1951. Miss Brent divided the
house into apartments, but did this by simply locking various doors
within the house and installing kitchens on the second story sun porch
and on the third floor. Ms. Brent lived in Hyde Park for over 50 years
with more than 30 at this address. She was fond of pointing out the
original chandeliers light fixtures, and stained glass windows
throughout the house. For example, there is Steuben glass shades in the
library, an attractive stained glass panel in the sliding door off the
dining room, and a large multicolor window on the second floor landing,
which changes hues with the outside light. The house was converted back
to single family in 1999.
Constructed entirely of wood frame with a brick veneer on the first
floor, this house was designed by architect Carl L. Bliss and built in
1905 for Ulysses S. Grant Peabody. Since that time, it has had several
owners and once housed three apartments. The removal of asbestos siding
from the exterior walls uncovered the original siding of cedar shingles.
Clarence Ennis, an active building contractor in the early 1900s, built
this shirtwaist-style home in 1906 but resided here only three years
before moving to 4512 Forest. Over the next thirty-five years the
history of the house consists of a parade of various owners. One
long-term owner was Amelia Zeilinger, a window, who lived in the home
from the late 1940s through the late 1960s. In the 1970s the
house underwent an extensive remodeling which included the removal of
the livingroom ceiling to create an unobstructed view to the third floor.
The back wall of the dining room was removed so that the space flowed
into the kitchen. Remaining original features include an oak front door
that is set off by leaded glass sidelights, an entry hall fireplace with
tiger oak mantel, stained-glass window on the stair landing and box
beams ceiling in the dining room.
Built in 1907 for Gustave and Madge Bryant Bachman, this striking home
features a stone exterior on the first floor and English half-timer
second and third story. Gustave was vice-president of the old Peck’s Dry
Goods Store located in downtown Kansas City, and Madge was the daughter
of Dr. John Bryant for whom the Bryant Buildings, located at 11th and
Grand, is named. She was the granddaughter of Thomas Smart, whose
40-acre farm is now downtown Kansas City, Missouri. A son of the
original owners, Dr. G. Bryant Bachman, remembers a cave running from
the park area across Gleed Terrace to under the house, a wisteria vine
on the trellis on the west porch, and a climbing rose along the arches
of the stone porch on the south. |
Many of the original features
remain in the house. A 30-foot entry hall provides access to all first
floor rooms—library, commodious living room with large central
fireplace, and dining room. The pattern in the living room light fixture
and the fireplace screen and tools match. It is hard to believe that the
original 1907 fireplace equipment is still in place. The dining room’s
beamed ceiling and bottle glass window and the kitchen’s green Belgian
glass tile are as it was originally. The first floor library/study with
its cathedral ceiling, stained glass windows, and fireplace is a
wonderful place to work. The shield pattern appearing in the library’s
stained glass windows re-appears 15 times throughout the house. Four
varieties of lumber were used in the magnificent exposed woodwork of
this home. Hand-tooled light fixtures and hand-carved radiators
complement the grandeur of this truly exceptional residence. The
attached two-car garage appears to have been an original part of the
house since Dr. Bachman recalls its existence even though his family
left Kansas City in 1914. The second floor features four bedrooms and a
sun porch. An original bathroom, enlarged by a previous owner in the
mid-1980s, is referred to as “the bubble” for obvious reasons; the round
addition with its floor-to-ceiling windows seems to float above the
first floor with no visible means of support.
In 1908, the honorable William J. Morris constructed this wonderful
prairie-style house for the sum of $5,000. Later that year, he added the
library wing off the living room. When clients would call for his
services, he brought them into the library to discuss their cases. Morse
also added the garage in back. The inside of the house has numerous
Prairie and Craftsman influences, including a built-in buffet in the
dining room, complete with the original hardware and stained glass.
During the 1950s, instead of repairing the deteriorating stucco, the
owners at the time chose to remedy the problem with siding. Leaded
beveled glass front door and sidelights accent the front entrance.
This stately two and half-story house was built by a general contractor
for his family in 1910. The cost was $3,000. Included on the property
was a barn, built for $250, which later burned, and a fishpond that also
fell prey to ruin. In later years, the house was divided into 5
apartments and then made into 3. The most predominent exterior feature
is the wrap-around front porch, which is highlighted by the semi-circle
entrance steps. Upon entering the house, the first eye-catching feature
is the woodwork, especially the solid oak columns. Fortunately, when the
house was divided, the previous owners sheet-rocked over the entry,
preserving the wood in good condition.
J.M. Stonesbery built this house for occupancy in 1917. Since its first
owner, J.S. Heartman, this Kansas City “Shirtwaist” has housed 20
different owners and been divided into three different apartments.
Besides deconverting from apartments to single family, a closet that
filled the oak entryway covering its leaded glass window had to be
This charming house was built before Charlotte Street was lined with
homes, even before the street was connected to city water. A former
cistern below the kitchen floor and a hay loft in the carriage house
recall a time when south Hyde Park was part of the countryside; when you
dug your own well and rode a horse for transportation. Built in an
eclectic variation of the Dutch Colonial Revival style, the small house
contains 15 rooms, making it one of the neighborhoods’ most interesting
homes. No room in the house is square, fireplaces are angled and every
turn of the corner provides a new surprise. |
The house was built
n 1903 or 1904 for Henry Wroth, a bookbinder. It has changed hands often
over the years and was home to a number of working class owners. It
served as rental property for large periods of time and was divided into
a duplex in the late 1970s. Renovation began in 1984. During restoration
the original fireplace in the living room was uncovered and the mantle
was discovered tucked away in the basement. It was reinstalled and
flanked by four English tiles from a dismantled historic downtown hotel.
This semi-bungalow was built by Clarence Sheppard, a real estate agent
in 1907, for a cost of $2,500. The home’s architecture is craftsman,
with some Victorian touches. The house features a massive stone
fireplace in the living room, unusual angular-shaped rooms and a
spacious interior for what appears on the outside to be a small house.